Loading images...

Bridgwater Infirmary

148 - InfirmaryBridgwater was expanding and becoming industrialised throughout the nineteenth century.  Inevitably such a town required its own hospital and the one which stands on Salmon Parade dates back to 1813 when a hospital was started in Back Street, now called Clare Street, roughly behind the present Town Hall.  By 1820, demand had outstripped the capability of the premises and the hospital as we know it today was purchased for £700 from public subscription.

Text Copyright © 2008 Roger Evans

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This