Loading images...

Castle Street

195 Penel Orlieu Cattle Market 1907 PCBuilt in 1723 by the architect Benjamin Holloway for the Duke of Chandos, it was then called Chandos Street and is a superb example of Georgian architecture. At 11 Castle Street is the Bridgwater Arts Centre which was the first Arts Centre in Great Britain, set up in 1946.  Across the road, the greater part of the buildings, now mostly offices, was taken up by the Mary Stanley Nursing Home, serving as a maternity hospital from 1920 to 1988.

Text Copyright © 2008 Roger Evans