We have this week launched the Somerset Routes website – www.somersetroutes.co.uk – the ultimate guide to the county’s historic sites, quirky museums and ancient monuments!
The original map, created Somerset Heritage & Libraries Service and the /Museums in Somerset /group, helped visitors unearth the wealth of heritage sites on offer. The ‘tube map’ style design breaks the county into seven different lines to travel on, taking in over 120 of the counties best heritage sites. Each line takes you to the museums, historic railways, castles, gardens, stately homes and archaeological sites that make Somerset’s heritage unique.
The new website allows you to search for heritage sites either via the ‘tube map’ or by certain criteria, such as historic period or collection type. It contains information on each historic site, highlights forthcoming events, hosts downloadable itineraries and guides, and provides information on areas such as volunteering at the historic properties. It is also linked to a number of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
We want the website to be a huge success, so that it can help drive visitors to our wonderful historic sites in Somerset and support the important work that many of you are doing at them. And that is where you come in…
There are a number of things you can do to help increase awareness of the website:
- Link to www.somersetroutes.co.uk from your own websites – attached is a button icon that you can use to draw attention to the link. You can download more of them at www.somersetroutes.co.uk/page/help-promote-us/31
- Post a news piece about www.somersetroutes.co.uk on your websites / include it in your newsletters – attached is a press release about the websites launch
- ‘Like’ the Somerset Routes Facebook page (www.facebook.com/somersetroutes) and ‘share’ it with your friends and post a link to www.somersetroutes.co.uk on your own Facebook page
- ‘Follow’ us on Twitter (@somersetroutes) and re-tweet anything that interests you and post a link to www.somersetroutes.co.uk on your own Twitter account
- Encourage visitors to submit their photos to the online galleries; more information here
- Download the guidebooks, maps, leaflets, posters and bookmarks here
- Send us any heritage events or news for immediate posting onto our events and news
We will be sending goody bags containing A3 posters, leaflets and bookmarks to each heritage site featured on Somerset Routes, libraries and TICs this week. We have a limited number of additional goody bags available on request. If you would like one or know of anyone that would like one of these then please contact me.
We really appreciate your support and hope that the new site will be a big hit, driving visitors to heritage sites across the county!
Community Heritage & Museum Development Officer* Somerset Heritage Centre, Brunel Way, Taunton, Somerset, TA2 6SF
Tel: 01823 347454
Mob: 07854 174272